By God's grace we've come a long way since 1968!
In 1968 the Metzger family donated 17.5 acres of land to the Milwaukee Federation of Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Churches in memory of their brother Phillip. This property, to be used for children's camping, was located on the Upper White River Millpond, four miles outside of Wautoma, Wisconsin.
Five years later an additional 120 acres were purchased for $14,000 to make up what has become known as Camp Phillip.
Construction on the first building--the Shelter building (now the Dining hall) which provided restrooms and an open air shelter--continued through the winter so the building was ready for the 1975 camping season.
A caretaker's house was built in 1980 so that someone could care for the grounds all year long.
For years a camp program that had been begun in 1956 for Milwaukee area WELS 3rd-9th graders was looking for a permanent home. This program made use of several locations: Camp Lutherdale near Elkhorn, Wisconsin; Camp Willerup near Cambridge, Wisconsin; and a former White Sox training camp on the shores of Lake Winnebago outside of Brotherstown, Wisconsin. In 1983 this program moved for its final time to Camp Phillip.